Monday, April 12, 2010

Raising Tundra to 6 months old...

Tundra is now 6 months old and has her appointment to get spayed. We decided to go with the laser surgery they have for dogs now where they use lasers instead of cutting with knifes which help the procedure be less painful. I've never owned a dog before... other dog owners haven't heard of it yet so it must be a state-of-the-art technique.

The other night our little wolf was dog-sat by our amazing friends (and wolf-trainer) Keyhan of SunValleyWolfKennels.com and the breeders of Tundra. Keyhan has little time so he puts his Wolves and German Shepard on a lease attached to his quad. This way the dogs and wolf-hybrids get exercise they need during the day.

Keyhan said Tundras very large fathers' first impression of the quad was to attack it. He's now used to it and looks forward to his runs. Having heard this reaction to exercising a dog I was curious to see how Tundra would react. Tundra was very good, mostly because the other dogs were used to it and she wanted to fit in with the pack. She didn't show fear for long as soon as she was used to the noise and watching the other packs reaction to the situation.

While Tundra was being looked after she ran with the dogs a couple time x a couple kilometers... she was exhausted but soo happy and content. Now I've heard that running wolves/dogs too young can cause hip conditions later in life in some breeds. I trust Keyhans judgement on this breed as I have no idea. If wolves run at this age in the wild, I'm not going to restrict my wolf-hybrid to that pleasure.

I managed to snap a couple of pictures of Tundra with her Mom & Dad below:

1 comment:

  1. I just finished reading your amazing entries about tundra from entry 1.... Back to back.... My name is Isaac and I just mailed my deposit off to sun valley last week for a male from selinas upcoming litter. Your journal is fun and well wrtten, and thankfully I am even more excited about my puppy to come.
    There is so much discouraging literature out there about hybrds that I made my decision a tough one but tundra sounds to be quite a lot to a regular puppy in her challenges, etc.
    Would you agree?
    Any advice or prep work I should do besides what you outlined in your last posts?
    Please email me at isaacsiphone@yahoo.ca
    thanks!!!
    :)
    keep the awesome posts coming, please!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete