Monday, June 28, 2010

What to do with a territorial wolf dog...

Lately we've been wondering what to do with our wolf-hybrid, Tundra. We are in the dilemma of socializing her more with other people so that she's used to other humans and learns to get along. I am constantly worried that Tundra might bite someone as she's not too shy to let people know if she doesn't like them (she'll act like shes about to bite, raised hair, sometimes shows teeth).

Tundra is great with other dogs as she's used to our landlords 4 wolves/German Shepards. Tundra is surprisingly very good around children (Children as young as 3 so far she's been exposed to). When saying that she's good around kids, I mean the kids that don't take interest in her -- not the children that pull on her, poke her etc.
In  fact, while camping this last weekend, our little wolf took to the two 10 year old boys shooting arrows and finding bugs in the woods; like a protector not leaving their sides.

So when we had people starting to come over to our place (we don't entertain very often) it was embarrassing when Tundra wouldn't stop barking, growling and showing defensive actions towards our company. Its mostly our fault because we don't have people over very often but when the second time we had company over outside (not inside the house) it was still really bad. So after talking to our friend (breeder & trainer) about this behavior we were told to give her a "time out" like you would a kid.

We have an outdoor kennel that she can stay in and still see us but she's not allowed to come out and join us.

We haven't had people over here since but next time I'll let you know if she smartens up!

I had a person write me and let me know they've adopted a wolf-pup from a rescue. I have to say my heart goes out to you both for being so wonderful and taking such a tough breed in. Hopefully your pup was well socialized and has a very easy transition.

I won't lie, wolf-hybrids can be VERY difficult to raise as they are SO smart, fast, tough and a large breed. Its actually a bit humoring as to how much like having a kid (or so I can imagine) this breed is to raise.

2 comments:

  1. I can understand. Having a smart dog is a double edged sword. They can be trained really quickly if you know what you're doing.. but will test you their whole lives. I don't own a wolf hybrid but from my brothers husky and my two corgis who are pretty damn smart (open doors and unlock the crates anyone? for example) it is like having a kid - having to kid proof things you never dreamed you had to for dogs!

    I hope everything works out for you and I'm sure it will with a lot of hard work. I would love to have a dog like that but I simply don't live in an area that's good for one. So I'll live through your blog haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww...l thanks Jules! We are very lucky to live where we do that is accommodating for our little wolf. I will do my best to record all the silly things she does for ya!

    ReplyDelete