Friday, November 20, 2009

A week later... Wolf-hybrid puppy - 5 weeks old


Well tomorrow will be the marking of week one with our new wolf-hybrid pup. Tundra has tripled her food portions from the first couple days we had her... she loves the milk we bought her from the vet. I got a laugh out of reading the directions and reading "Bitches first milk" so I guess it's politically correct to call her a bitch? The breeder said to pop the milk in a small bowl for 10 seconds to warm it up but I find that just running warm water and mixing it in is fine.

The first two nights with Tundra was draining... she woke up about 4 or 5 times whining to go pee and play. Now, at 5 weeks old, last night she only woke up twice: once at 11:30 pm (I've been going to bed lately at 9 to catch up on my sleep) and once at 1:00 am.


Its off and on when she wakes up if she'll cry when we put her back in her kennel. Some nights she'll go right back to bed and other times I'll have to tire her out with playing with her toys.

Her toys consist of: A rope toy with a rubber ball big enough for her mouth, a rubber dog bone with a hole (for hiding treats - keeps them busy for the length of their attention span), a simple piece of rope tied (shown in picture), and a red ball.

Tundra plays with her ball by nudging her nose against it until it begins to roll...

Our little Wolf-Hybrid puppy is still learning potty training. Today she's been bad, peeing on the rug 3 or 4 times (Mom is working and can't always watch her) but for the most part with a little encouragement she has been going on the puppy training mats we bought her.

These puppy training mats are not mandatory but I find them to be a lifesaver because they have a plastic bottom that doesn't allow the pee to absorb through to the ground. Thankfully our entire home is tiled except for an area rug in the living room making cleanup a lot easier.

My other best friend has been a swiffer wet mop for those little paw prints that step in the pee and get tracked around. I'm finding I'm moping the entire floor once a day (or more) when I don't get to her fast enough to clean off her paws. Don't think my floors have been cleaner though haha!

Tundra has a bad habit of biting... all puppies bite and we have been telling her no and tapping her nose. After talking to our dog trainer that specializes in Wolf-hybrids, he said that she's too young to punish or discipline and that biting is a really good sign. My concern was when picking her up she would bite my neck or boobs, wrists etc. Instantly thinking I need to discourage her biting near the jugular. So after hearing that this is normal and GOOD I've now learned that when she does this we need to distract her with something she's allowed to chew on.

Well its winter and cold and one thing I find amusing is cuddling with us, Tundra will often wake up 30-45 minutes later and move away from us because her coat is so thick that she's too warm. She loves our leather couches because they're nice and cold... maybe she'll like my cold feet on her belly lol.

Well I'm off now to get some more work done. This weekend we are going to run some errands in town and this will be Tundra's first time kenneled without anyone home. I hope she does well!

Already I've noticed she's grown a bit (just in a week!) so here is a new updated picture. You might not be able to tell on the picture, but just lift her up and you'll say shes at least 2 lbs heavier.

1 comment:

  1. What a cute wolf hybrid. Keep training her, she will make an awesome pet. Wolf hybrids need proper care and enviroment in order to return love and joy to their owners.

    ReplyDelete